. -->

5.30.2013

Serving Up Plants in Style!

 Sometimes finding the perfect centerpiece for a last-minute party or barbecue
is as simple as looking into your kitchen cabinets...

If you're like me, you'll probably find stuff that's been shoved to the back in the corner
because we all tend to think of some items in one way, for one use.
Like soup tureens.
They're for serving SOUP, right?
Well, yes... but they're not JUST for soup!

I didn't unearth these from my kitchen - I found four of them at a local thrift shop.
For two bucks a set (tureen, platter, and ladle).
They were cheap because they just don't get much use anymore... I changed that.
The white ceramic tureens now serve up color on the table!
Paired with white dinnerware, they bring  fresh, fun style
and a very unexpected & inexpensive way to dress up a tablescape.

The plants and flowers are a mix of  4" sizes from the nursery, 
planted into a plastic 6" pot that is then placed inside the soup tureen.
You could also just grab a flowering plant in a 6" pot.
[yes, you can plant directly in the tureen - just add a layer of gravel first to help drain the water]

Try these items from your kitchen to hold flowers or plants:
o
* a stainless steel stock pot or dutch oven
* a big enamelware coffeepot
* the wooden bucket from an old hand-crank ice cream maker
[and it already has a perfect metal container for cut flowers, too!]
* a set of metal canisters
* a cookie jar

This is also a great way to make use of hand-me-downs from mom & grandma...
Keep looking in those cabinets, drawers, closets and garages
for ways to create seasonal decor with everyday materials!

4 comments:

  1. How very, very pretty- It looks spectacular- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great idea...and I always see these in the thrift store! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! It's always fun to use pieces for purposes other than those they were made for! I love china with flowers! Hugs, Leena

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this!!!!!! It looks so fresh and fun. AND I have some soup Tureens I could use :) Thanks for the inspiration. janita

    ReplyDelete